PDA

View Full Version : Mapping Contest - Theme Ideas and Poll

Deolrin
12-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Greetings everyone!
This thread is used in order to come up with ideas for the theme of our mapping contests. A short time before a mapping contest starts, this thread will open up for everyone to post their ideas and suggestions.

Death
12-23-2010, 05:07 PM
I believe a simple mini-game themed contest would be the best. Less development overhead, meaning more people would be able to participate within the contest timeframe.

idodik
12-24-2010, 08:56 AM
I'm actually curious what would be the success rate of a melee map... Right now the custom-map market isn't that well developed so melee maps will have increased popularity.

Deolrin
12-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Never saw a popular, non-Blizzard melee map before, at least on Europe. But that's a good idea, idodik, although it would be more of a terraining challenge with a bit of balancing. :P

I believe that 'minigame' would be a good theme, but we need more people to put their input here before anything could be decided. ^^

Anarchianbedlam
12-25-2010, 07:08 PM
I suggest a 2d-platformer theme. that would be awesome, but it would need lots of awesome triggers.

Whisper
03-19-2011, 07:38 PM
IMO First Mapping contest should be really easy
so 2D games etc. are not rly good ideas
I support idioik's idea
Custom Campaing-like mission could be good choice too :)

SHPanda
03-19-2011, 09:37 PM
Mini-game seems the most reasonable, shouldn't take too long and you won't have to invest too much time into it.

CloudMax
03-19-2011, 09:48 PM
Mini-game seems the most reasonable, shouldn't take too long and you won't have to invest too much time into it.

The most time you spend is the time trying to figure out what mini-game to make. So if you already have something in mind it will be a piece of cake. If not, well, you're in trouble.
I personally have no idea what mini-game I would make..

RDCKraken
07-31-2011, 09:13 AM
Make a tactical mapping contest, where the map is needed to include tactics to win, like stratego or chess

Jack[RCDF
08-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Minigames are the best kind of maps to make for contests right now. But I suggest we do something to add to our resources area, such as an icon contest. Icons are simple to make, I can throw up a tutorial on icon design, and there's already stuff on the wiki on making and using icons so it'd be pretty easy to do. We can also post the results on other sites to show off our skills and get more people aware about udmod.

Whisper
08-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Yes Icon contest is good idea.(probably the best one atm)
Mini-game is bad. It's not easy to make cool mini-game.
Melee Map is pretty good idea too
1 Campaing mission is not bad either.

Deolrin
08-07-2011, 05:31 AM
I'm locking this thread until further notice.
A week or so before we start a mapping contest, I'll re-open it so that people could submit their ideas.