PDA

View Full Version : Risk Revulsion Moderators

Prometheus
05-11-2011, 11:30 PM
Ello! As the Risk Revulsion community continues to grow and expand, more and more players are being exposed to the cheating that unfortunately occurs in this great game.
As such, I want to know how our Risk Revulsion game moderators are doing on regulating these issues?
Please tell us anything we can, or should do, to better help regulate these issues. Also any suggestions you have on how we could better use our "powers" please tell us so that we might make Risk Revulsion a better experience for all of our players, thank you!

Also please try to be mature and civilized when posting anything about other people (in this case us moderators), thank you for your input once again!

CloudWolf
05-11-2011, 11:41 PM
Are we talking about actual cheating issues, or just people using immoral tactics? :D

oh! and welcome to UDMod :)

Prometheus
05-11-2011, 11:56 PM
Cheating mainly, unless you consider pre-teaming more of an immoral tactic, than both really
oh! and thank you!

CloudWolf
05-12-2011, 12:04 AM
aaah yea, that could be a problem in an FFA match :P

I'm sure Redmarine and HELL_YA will want to hear all about that :)

MicroHive
05-12-2011, 07:57 PM
There are plural conditions that need to be addressed before this becomes feasible. These are some of my concerns I'd like addressed.

Having moderators that play the game take part in regulation is dangerous. The reason is that their judgement can be emotionally misguided, under certain circumstances. This in return can potentially increase the number of false positive cases of "cheating".

Lack of real banning, that is server side banking that could track people's reputable status and stop banning them after a certain amount of time. Even if the perpetrators are caught, the reality of the situation is that they can unban themselves easily, which in return makes moderation unenforceable.

The current banning method takes advantage of StarCraft II storing players' map specific information locally on their PC. If the map marks the player as a cheater, this information will be stored in the bank file, and he will be kicked forever from the map. However, this also introduces a huge flaw in the system, anyone can circumvented this simply by removing the banking information.

However, it's true that this is a somewhat important issue that needs to be addressed one way or another. I just won't do anything about it on the European server until we get a better method to deal with the situation.

ElitistJerk
05-15-2011, 07:47 PM
I have a question, is there an extreme amount of teaming that one can do that can be deserving of a ban?

Prometheus
05-16-2011, 03:26 AM
Yes ElitistJerk, after a person teams three times, they will be banned. First they will be warned, next they will be kicked, and then they will be banned. Or they will be kicked on all three occasions, which would result in a ban. Thank you for your question, and if you find any teamers list their name and what they did! Thank you once again.

DivineEvil
05-18-2011, 01:11 AM
Just wondering... wouldn't you need their character code too in order to ban them?

Prometheus
05-18-2011, 05:18 AM
No DivineEvil, all that is needed in order for a player to be banned, is for a game moderator or administrator to type "-ban" followed by the player's in game number. However I believe that you are asking if in order to contact a player in order to ban them we need their character code. It would be helpful if we had the code, but since their is an improbable chance of us being able to find out a player's character code without an investigation, we simply have to wait until we see a player in game to ban and or kick them. Thank you once again for your contribution to the Risk Revulsion community!

MicroHive
05-18-2011, 07:10 AM
Just wondering... wouldn't you need their character code too in order to ban them?

The problem is that there is no server side banning feature that could check who is playing what map. There is no method to get the character code inside of a map and check it with a database. The only thing we can do is to try to ban some of them via banks. Most inefficient...

nikn
05-20-2011, 01:08 AM
I hate teamers, but as much as i hate to say this, i believe you are being a bit too harsh.
Teamers dont consider it a form of cheating. Some are new or noobs, and need the help.
There isnt a specific line for what defines a teamer. Many simply make 'peace', others dont talk at all.

Prometheus
05-21-2011, 12:15 AM
While I do agree with you nikn that some of the teamers are noobs or new to Risk Revulsion, but cheating is still cheating, and they have to learn the rules and follow them, or they will never learn what is allowed or not allowed in Risk Revulsion.

However for your other point, there is a lot of gray area. It is simply up to the game moderator or administrator in charge of the situation to determine what is allowed or not allowed. As Risk Revulsion continues to grow, these things will become more clear, but ultimately, it will always be up to the moderator or administrator in charge to make the call, such as in real life.

I am sorry if my answers are unsatisfactory, however as of now, this is truly all that can be said about the topics without a full out debate. Thank for your interest!

nikn
05-21-2011, 12:45 AM
RedMarine: This doesnt have to be so inefficient, you could make a blacklist.
Or maybe you shouldn't do this, but simply kick them when you see them, and threaten them to scare them.

And Prometheus:
Good points. Amusingly i had such a full debate on one of the topics, under 'strategic guid'. I was against teamers, i was amused to find everyone there oppose me. Maybe you should go there and back me up :)

Also could someone check out my suggestions thread. It was generally about problems and suggestions, but is very long :(

Khornz
05-21-2011, 04:15 AM
Threating them does not work. Since this is the internet, many have a false sense of grandeur and will not understand the severity implied. They are being "Ignant". As Prome said, there is a large grey area, and it does fall to the moderator to make the call.

Cheers, Khornz

VediVeci
06-06-2011, 11:20 PM
How can new players know not to team though? The number of people who ally other new players is pretty high, but there is no way for them to know they are doing anything wrong. Kicking or banning them would be like a cop pulling someone over without letting them know the speed limit. Honestly I worry more about ban happy mods than teamers, as people will generally tell new players not to team and will gang up on people who do. I have seen mods kick people for "being annoying" and then justifying it on the basis that that player didnt have a chance to win. That worries me far more that teaming.

CloudMax
06-07-2011, 11:07 AM
The only way we can stop all this is if blizzard add support for storing a players name/id and actually ban people for real.
There is no way to ban a person, they can always come back, all they have to do is reset their stats.

And finding god mods can take years sometimes, but hell, it actually seem like many mods in RR is just completely horrible.
I have banned I think about 15 users on UDMod.. ever. And 14 we're bots. The last one got a 1day ban and a warning.

That is how much I have "abused" my power as a mod. Really, just tell people to stop being complete idiots and stop cheating, do not pull the trigger the first second you get annoyed by a player and ban them, that is just stupid.
You should at the very least concider adding infractions into the ban system. Like the mods can kick a player, and after the person have done something stupid multiple times, maybe then that user will get banned.

(Even blizzard doesn't permanent ban hackers in wow the first time. They just send out a 7-day ban, and permanent ban the person if he hack again)

Prometheus
06-07-2011, 09:46 PM
While I do agree that finding good mods is very very hard, and that many of the Risk Revulsion mods that we currently have aren't the greatest, my self included, it might help if you state which mod(s) you're referring to, and offering some feedback on how they can improve, or what is making them a bad mod.

pocket
06-17-2011, 02:02 AM
What about updating the game with a votekick option? With twelve players in a ranked game, I think democracy would work well and allow players to kick people who really deserve it.

CloudMax
06-17-2011, 01:23 PM
What about updating the game with a votekick option? With twelve players in a ranked game, I think democracy would work well and allow players to kick people who really deserve it.

It would also work very well with kicking the people that is about to win.
That is how it works. Finding a real solution would be impossible.
We can only hope that blizzard creates a random match making system for custom games where you do not have a lobby..

Votekick is just as bad as it is good. Maybe it will do more harm than good even.

CrazyRusski
06-17-2011, 04:53 PM
It would also work very well with kicking the people that is about to win.
That is how it works. Finding a real solution would be impossible.
We can only hope that blizzard creates a random match making system for custom games where you do not have a lobby..

Votekick is just as bad as it is good. Maybe it will do more harm than good even.

Yep! thats why I dont want to add it and perhaps their might be a group abusing it and just kicking people and sharing wins.

tayloryeow
06-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Is there any way to get unbanned?

MicroHive
06-29-2011, 08:55 PM
Is there any way to get unbanned?

It implies wiping your scores.

You can find the instructions in one of the threads. But basically, you need to go to your sc2 documentary folder and delete your banking information.

CrazyRusski
06-29-2011, 08:58 PM
He doesnt have to if he is on the NA Server, I can just remove his ban status. But Taylor why were you banned and how?

VediVeci
07-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Prometheus, I don't want to call out mods and make enemies, in reference to my post and your reply a while ago. I just want to call attention to the fact that a refereeing system that involves players in game making judgments is flawed cause emotions can get heated in risk. I haven't seen it recently though so that's heartening. It seems to me the only really fair way to ban people is to send out replays for outside arbitration and then give the accused a chance to reply. That's a pain in the ass and not very practical. We could also just start killing known teamers in game as a community.

CrazyRusski
07-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Patch 3.00 will give me the ability to ban people through the bank system so it will auto ban them. So now it will be easy to ban pre teamers with evidence. And I think I should remove GMs as now people can just report them on the site.

Scrapper
07-22-2011, 09:59 PM
I'd keep a few trusted GMs just so there is some support in game, whether they can be helpful or not.