PDA

View Full Version : Hero Contest - Prize: SC2 Beta Key

Linera
04-26-2010, 07:03 AM
Winner: Idodik

The first Protoss Rogue was Zaefund, a Zealot that survived a nuclear bombing by the Terran in a Protoss-Terran battlefield. As a sole survivor of the Protoss forces amongst many armored and functioning Terran veicles (how
is that spelled?), she had to adjust to the harsh conditions, and embrace the only strategy capable of leading to survival: seeing without being seen. Zaefund stole cloaking devices from destroyed Terran veicles (Banshees and
such) to her advantage, and while using it she also discovered how the hell to use these darned mechanisms.
Another of her ways to survive was to stop the veicles from chasing her, which meant it had to be disarmed of their pilots. While using the cloaking field it was very easy for her to sneak into the cockpit and slice the innocent human in half. Also, if the veicle wasn't very complicated, she could have controlled it to her advantage. A rare, weak but useful psionic ability she found in this grave situation was to disguise her voice so that no one on the radio comms would notice one of the pilots was down.
Of course there would be problems once the veicle would get damaged and its radio transmittor went berserk, but when the nearby veicles have fuzzy radio contact (as a result of the buggy transmittor that started to interfere instead of receive), assassination is very useful.
Once Protoss forces came to realize that there may have been survivors and rescued her of that hell upon the earth, they gave her a prize of honor and the right to teach excelling Protoss Zealots and Dark Templars the newly created code of the Rogue.

The Rogue attacks ground units with psionic blades, and uses a lazer to attack flying units.
4 skills:
Ambush - Levelable
The rogue slips into an enemy veicle's cockpit and slays the pilot, but there is a severe chance that she will be discovered and that the ambush will fail. Each level decreases that chance. After the ambush the attention of nearby enemy units is turned towards the Rogue, which will force them to attack the Rogue.

Repair - Levelable Autocast
Using her knowledge of mechanics the rogue is capable of repairing a friendly mechanical unit in exchange for mana. Each level the amount of HP repaired is increased.
(This would normally be a terrible skill but considering the Protoss cannot usually repair this is a very useful skill).

Cloaking Field - Levelable
The rogue activates her personal cloaking field. The more upgraded this skill is the longer this field lasts, until on the last level this field will be capable of draining mana and lasting until the Rogue's mana is emptied or until the Rogue is ordered to stop the cloaking field.
When under the cloaking field the Rogue, while using Ambush, may attept to slip into the enemy veicle (again, chance of succeeding that increases with skill levels). If successful, this will allow the Rogue to act as the enemy veicle (without using her abilities) and add the sight of nearby enemy units to her sight. In this mode she will only be capable of receiving orders
fitting to the ambushed veicle by the enemy player (in order to make her disguise better). When she receives orders from her owning player the enemy player will notice and the disuguise will falter, and the rogue will have to decide if to stay with the veicle (risking herself) or to abandon it.

EMP - Ultimate (Read carefully, because this EMP is different!)
The rogue releases an EMP in a target area, which causes all nearby mechanical units to lose functionality. Ground units will be neutralized, including disabling any sight they might have on the battlefield, while their pilots will be banged around their cockpit and will be dizzy for 10 seconds after the EMP's effect wears off. Flying units will crash straight to the ground and will be immediately destroyed. EMP lasts 10 seconds, dizzy units have slowed movement speed, attack rate and sight range.

The Rogue is a very effective spy on enemy forces if he/she uses mechanical units. An effective strategy is to sneak up to a mechanical unit, cloaked, and use Ambush to take over one of the players' mechanical units (or at least kill them). If she takes over the unit she will be able to receive very valuable intel on the player's army, and after noting this information she will be able to use the mechanical unit as one of her own (which in some cases, aka Thor, will be very useful), and to increase its effect the Rogue has the Repair ability which is meant to help preserve that mechanical unit.
I really like the design of this hero and the play options such a hero provides to the player.

Other Entries:

Aurioch/Razalus, Twilight Archon
hero type: spell caster/tank

Aurioch(high templar) and Razalus(Dark Templar) were fused as defence against a zerg invasion. Radiating pure rage, they vowed to lay waste to the attacking forces.

1. Psionic Shockwave: Lightning bolt is thrown at an enemy, which bounces to enemies behind the target in a 60 degree angle.
number of bounces, damage, and mana cost increase with level. Angle of bounce might increase with level. damage increases(!) with each bounce

^basically forked lightning, but forks from the first unit hit, to the units behind it, then forks further to other units behind those units, in a 60 degree angle.

2. Energy Collapse(passive): Every 8(6)(4)(4)th attack is a lightning shot which bounces on units nearby. Number of bounces increase with level.

3. Psi Storm: AOE damage. Non Channeling. Deals damage per second. AOE/damage increases with level.

4. Hatred:For 5 seconds, Aurioch/Razalus attacks 100% faster, and regains 10% of damage dealt as mana. Opponent loses mana based on damage taken, and is burned by the mana being lost.
Cooldown decreases/increases with level, mana regain increases with level speed increases with level.

5.Split personality(ultimate)(requires:Psi Storm, energyfield, psionic shockwave)
Splits into Aurioch, and Razalus.
Aurioch skills: with psi storm, energy field and psionic shockwave, and fuse.

Razalus is a damage dealer with fuse and has permanent cloaking.

They will stay like this indefinitely unless fused back using the skill fuse. If 1 dies, they both die. They will respawn as a Twilight Archon. health,mana,damage, etc of units increase with level. They both spawn as full health units when the skill is used. Both units will have same items that will be usable, but not droppable. Both will not be able to pick up any items or drop any.

Wirn - The Timelost Pirate
Damage Dealer

Story: "While sailin' the Seven Seas, I lost me way under the Northern Star, driftin' along the currents. I think it was on the 5th day of being lost that I finally came to halt. The ship had gotten lodged between two rocks at the worlds end. In only a matter of seconds my ship capsized and tossed me into the abyss. I then ended up here on this strange continent(universe)."

Spell I - Flintlock
Lock 'n' load, for it be hurtin' time!
Take aim with your old-fashioned gun and fire at an enemy. Better fill up with gunpowder for more range and impact!
Level 1 - Deals 75 damage.
Level 2 - Deals 150 damage.
Level 3 - Deals 220 damage.

Spell II - Pouch of Gun Powder
Nobody move! I dropped me pouch.
Throw a pouch of gunpowder at your enemy making him blind. Additionally, if a target is under the effect of Gunpowder when hit by Flintlock, they will catch fire for 8 seconds.
Level 1 - 10% miss, 30 burn damage.
Level 2 - 20% miss, 60 burn damage.
Level 3 - 30% miss, 100 burn damage.

Spell III - Rum Hurdle
Drink Up Me Hearties, Yo Ho!
Get drunk and star tossing bottles of rum all around you in a 300 range. If an ally catches one, it gives him a chance to crit for x1.5 damage, and if a foe catches one he gets drunken daze, slowing him.
Level 1 - 30% daze, 10% crit chance.
Level 2 - 40% daze, 15% crit chance.
Level 1 - 50% daze, 30% crit chance.

Spell IV (Ultimate) - Sabre Dance
Engage in a whirlwind of blades, destroying everything in your path for 6 seconds.
If you're drunk while spinning, your pathing becomes irregular and it's hard to keep a straight line but your deal x2.0 damage per second.
50 damage per second.

This contest has now ended.
Judging will begin soon and prize awarded.

The rules are simply. Design a concept hero.

Prize:

One lucky winner will win a Starcraft 2 Beta Key.
Only 1 prize will be awarded. This will be awarded to the best entry.

Rules:

You are limit to 4 spells
The hero must have 3 level 1 abilities and 1 ultimate in mind.
The hero must have a distinct theme.
One entry per person.
Everybody is allowed and encouraged to enter, as long as they follow the rules.

Submission:

When the hero is complete, simply send me a private message containing all the details of your hero.

Deadline:

The session ends on May 1, 2010 (23:59 GMT-5). No extensions are going to be possible this time around. If we still don't have >=3 entries at that point, I might make an extension.

Kimphoe
04-26-2010, 08:31 AM
I'll definently make something for this! Just wait a moment ;D

Warhunter
04-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Are we talking about Wc3 now? I mean, shall we do this in the wc3 editor, or the sc2 editor?

Kimphoe
04-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Are we talking about Wc3 now? I mean, shall we do this in the wc3 editor, or the sc2 editor?

The rules are simply. Design a concept hero.
A concept hero means a idea for a hero, so you don't have to create the hero, just write about him and his skills/provide pictures!

Warhunter
04-26-2010, 05:37 PM
Puh. Thanks god for that. =P

Oni|angeL
04-26-2010, 05:54 PM
OH just saw this thread... Gonna write one... XD! But May 15? Beta might already end or at its final days... But anyway... Gonna join!

idodik
04-26-2010, 07:18 PM
The first Protoss Rogue was Zaefund, a Zealot that survived a nuclear bombing by the Terran in a Protoss-Terran battlefield. As a sole survivor of the Protoss forces amongst many armored and functioning Terran veicles (how
is that spelled?), she had to adjust to the harsh conditions, and embrace the only strategy capable of leading to survival: seeing without being seen. Zaefund stole cloaking devices from destroyed Terran veicles (Banshees and
such) to her advantage, and while using it she also discovered how the hell to use these darned mechanisms.
Another of her ways to survive was to stop the veicles from chasing her, which meant it had to be disarmed of their pilots. While using the cloaking field it was very easy for her to sneak into the cockpit and slice the innocent human in half. Also, if the veicle wasn't very complicated, she could have controlled it to her advantage. A rare, weak but useful psionic ability she found in this grave situation was to disguise her voice so that no one on the radio comms would notice one of the pilots was down.
Of course there would be problems once the veicle would get damaged and its radio transmittor went berserk, but when the nearby veicles have fuzzy radio contact (as a result of the buggy transmittor that started to interfere instead of receive), assassination is very useful.
Once Protoss forces came to realize that there may have been survivors and rescued her of that hell upon the earth, they gave her a prize of honor and the right to teach excelling Protoss Zealots and Dark Templars the newly created code of the Rogue.

The Rogue attacks ground units with psionic blades, and uses a lazer to attack flying units.
4 skills:
Ambush - Levelable
The rogue slips into an enemy veicle's cockpit and slays the pilot, but there is a severe chance that she will be discovered and that the ambush will fail. Each level decreases that chance. After the ambush the attention of nearby enemy units is turned towards the Rogue, which will force them to attack the Rogue.

Repair - Levelable Autocast
Using her knowledge of mechanics the rogue is capable of repairing a friendly mechanical unit in exchange for mana. Each level the amount of HP repaired is increased.
(This would normally be a terrible skill but considering the Protoss cannot usually repair this is a very useful skill).

Cloaking Field - Levelable
The rogue activates her personal cloaking field. The more upgraded this skill is the longer this field lasts, until on the last level this field will be capable of draining mana and lasting until the Rogue's mana is emptied or until the Rogue is ordered to stop the cloaking field.
When under the cloaking field the Rogue, while using Ambush, may attept to slip into the enemy veicle (again, chance of succeeding that increases with skill levels). If successful, this will allow the Rogue to act as the enemy veicle (without using her abilities) and add the sight of nearby enemy units to her sight. In this mode she will only be capable of receiving orders
fitting to the ambushed veicle by the enemy player (in order to make her disguise better). When she receives orders from her owning player the enemy player will notice and the disuguise will falter, and the rogue will have to decide if to stay with the veicle (risking herself) or to abandon it.

EMP - Ultimate (Read carefully, because this EMP is different!)
The rogue releases an EMP in a target area, which causes all nearby mechanical units to lose functionality. Ground units will be neutralized, including disabling any sight they might have on the battlefield, while their pilots will be banged around their cockpit and will be dizzy for 10 seconds after the EMP's effect wears off. Flying units will crash straight to the ground and will be immediately destroyed. EMP lasts 10 seconds, dizzy units have slowed movement speed, attack rate and sight range.

If this seems farmilliar to some of you, yes I did post a similar concept to the Trinity project. Ape, I wish to discuss this concept being the newer concept of that hero.
So! Please provide feedback and stuff! This hero might be overpowered but it sure is badass for a concept!

Linera
04-27-2010, 12:55 AM
Deadline has been changed to May 8, 2010.

Apexplosive
04-27-2010, 01:10 AM
I'm not sure why a Protoss unit would have emp. Her shields would be dead

CloudMax
04-27-2010, 07:25 AM

No one really said that it must be related to the actual story or race that you see in the game, so maybe the protoss didnt have a shield?
And what the heck.. Who ever told us how the protoss shields work anyway? :o
And.. Who the heck said that a protoss is a mechanical unit? D:

Wizardum
04-27-2010, 10:39 AM
so the theme can be anything? not stricktly necessary based on SC2

Linera
04-27-2010, 02:16 PM
so the theme can be anything? not stricktly necessary based on SC2

That is correct.

Oni|angeL
04-27-2010, 05:26 PM

Unless it has an overpowered recoil? :P

idodik
04-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Unless it has an overpowered recoil? :P

I actually meant the EMP not to work on shields but on the mechanics of the veicles themselves. It wouldn't effect Protoss shields but it would also neutralize friendly protoss mechs.

Linera
04-28-2010, 05:39 AM
Remember to follow the rules for entry into the contest or you will not be in the contest.

idodik
04-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Remember to follow the rules for entry into the contest or you will not be in the contest.

The only thing that seems missing is the theme of the hero, so I'll point it out:
The Rogue is a very effective spy on enemy forces if he/she uses mechanical units. An effective strategy is to sneak up to a mechanical unit, cloaked, and use Ambush to take over one of the players' mechanical units (or at least kill them). If she takes over the unit she will be able to receive very valuable intel on the player's army, and after noting this information she will be able to use the mechanical unit as one of her own (which in some cases, aka Thor, will be very useful), and to increase its effect the Rogue has the Repair ability which is meant to help preserve that mechanical unit.

CloudMax
04-29-2010, 10:35 PM
So this awesome spy is like an enginnerer?
Takes controll over mechanical units. Makes machanical units stop functioning. Repairing machanical units, etc.
Man, makes me think of my future rogue enginnerer in wow xD

LordDz
04-29-2010, 11:06 PM
The only thing that seems missing is the theme of the hero, so I'll point it out:

How well does it fight against Zerg...? :)

CloudMax
04-29-2010, 11:09 PM
How well does it fight against Zerg...? :)

Not all units is good against all units.
Good against 1 race, weak against another.
maybe something like
Protoss > Terran > Zerg > Protoss
just to make it fair :P

Linera
04-30-2010, 04:34 AM
I'm thinking of ending this contest this Sunday (May 2, 2010).

idodik
04-30-2010, 10:40 AM
WTF, only I have uploaded a concept. Does that mean I win?

Raccoon
04-30-2010, 11:22 AM
WTF, only I have uploaded a concept. Does that mean I win?
Currently it looks like it and I'm not going to stop you. ;)

Apexplosive
04-30-2010, 05:07 PM
Actually I messaged him a hero concept :P But If its just us 2, Ill give it to you since I already have access to the editor.
But i want to play Bnet

Linera
04-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Remember guys, only entries that have been PMed to me and actually in the contest. If your entry is in say a thread reply it will not be in the contest.

Linera
05-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Contest will be ending at the end of Sun.

Apexplosive
05-02-2010, 12:25 PM
thats today :O

Kimphoe
05-02-2010, 03:31 PM
You said the deadline was 8th may? I want to enter too!

Linera
05-02-2010, 06:14 PM
I'm not getting very many entries and I've noticed beta might end in 1 month. The getting set release date at Gamestop is June 1.
If I were you get on the ball and get your entry done and pm it to me.

Linera
05-03-2010, 06:43 AM
This contest has now ended.

Apexplosive
05-04-2010, 01:00 AM
Hopefully the judging won't take as long as the other contest.

Linera
05-04-2010, 01:34 AM
Hopefully the judging won't take as long as the other contest.

Don't worry, it won't. Do you see Cloud anywhere in my name? Nope :P

Oni|angeL
05-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Don't worry, it won't. Do you see Cloud anywhere in my name? Nope :P

LoL. So how many did actually joined? I failed to join... >_<

Linera
05-05-2010, 01:24 AM
I will release info on who entered the contest and who won. Also I will list everyone's entry.

Apexplosive
05-07-2010, 07:40 AM
I've gotten a key from raccoon! So I'm out of the contest

idodik
05-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Thanks for everyone, and for all those that I asked how to activate the key - I found out. I'm not going to use the key until next week, when most of the exams will be past.

CloudMax
05-07-2010, 01:08 PM
You should follow the deadlines original date. Increasing should be okay, but some people may actually miss it if you decrease it. and whats the point of the contest if there is only like 2 persons? i would not decrease the time if i were you.
Also, the game is not coming the 1st June, i tried to say a several times around the forum that it was just a temporary Date that would change later. Becouse blizzard did never announce that the date was 1st June :p
And now that they confirmed that it would be 27/7/10

Edit:
Seems like you already decided to choose a winner.. Some people missed the date becouse you decreased it, and i find that unfair :O But it was your key and your choice, so lets just forget about it.

Apexplosive
05-07-2010, 01:27 PM
Hey cloud max. 40th in copper, with 5 placement losses :D gonna try out some tactix now on noobs!